Bus

Bus

Monday, December 3, 2012

The bus was a full 5 minutes early this morning.  That never happens.  I noticed, through the window that Drunk Guy was in his usual front side facing seat by the door; he usually gets off where I was getting on today, so I waited for him to exit.  The driver waved me on and so I boarded.  As I began to head back to my seat, Drunk Guy all of a sudden popped up and said, "OH!  This is where I get off!"  We all laughed and said goodbye.  The bus headed on down South Main Street.  All of a sudden the driver (a newbie) asks what time it is.  The other passenger and I looked up from our books, and I slid one earphone off my head...  "9", we both said.  It was discovered that the driver had misread the time when he left his first stop and so we soon found ourselves sitting outside The Village Pub for the next 10 minutes until time had caught up to the bus.  We continued on our way.  Lots of people got on throughout WW and we headed into Garden City.  I was listening to my Kundalini Yoga Station and attempting to burn through some more of that final book in that horribly written series that has had everyone panting for months (I have begun to skip entire passages and notice that my eyes are continually rolling at each and every redundant sigh, murmur, and whisper).  As we headed out of Garden City and entered the on ramp to 95, I sensed motion in the aisle.  When I looked up, there was a guy standing there; he held a bulky jacket, a back pack, and a to go coffee mug with no lid and he was saying something as he looked at me.  I pulled off one earphone (the same one as earlier) and....
Guy:  Can I sit here?  I wanna see where I am going.
Me:  Sure.  (I hoist my bag into my lap)
Guy:  Do you know where Arctic Center is?  (his open coffee mug tilted dangerously in my direction as he sat down)
Me:  (turning to glance towards the back of the bus and 95 South unravelling behind us) It was back there.  We already went there.  This bus is heading to Kennedy Plaza.
Guy: (looking back, too, then down at his lap and adjusting his coffee mug) I got on the bus in Kennedy Plaza.  I musta nevah got off.
Me: (mentally making a plan for if and when he spilled that coffee on me and suddenly realizing that I saw this Guy get on the bus somewhere in WW, but I do not mention that) Well, I got on the bus in Coventry and you were not on it.
Guy: (stares at me) I just moved to Arctic and I'm not familiar with the area.
Me: (stares back)
Guy: (shifts in his seat and drops his cellphone in the open mug of coffee)
Me: (shifts towards the window)
Guy: (pulls dripping phone outta the mug and uses his jacket to wipe it off)  This is the last upgrade I can get on this phone...
Me: You could try putting it in rice to absorb the moisture..
Guy:  I could put it in mice, really?
Me:  RICE.  You could set it in some RICE if you have some.
Guy: Well, I guess I know what I will be doing tonight.
Me: (thinks, if you actually arrive at your destination) Yep. (decides to get off at the first stop downtown.)  This is my stop.  Good luck with your cellphone and good luck finding Arctic Center.
Guy: (turns to the side so I can get out of the seat) I guess I am gonna be late getting there....




2 comments: